1. Read a poem
- Read These are the hands (see resources) by Michael Rosen. Read it twice – once in your head and once out loud. What rhythm do you find as you read?
- Watch Michael Rosen reading the poem:
What did you notice about the poem from this performance?
- Read the Poetry Questions (see resources). Think about your answers and then write some of them as sentences.
2. Highlight verbs and nouns
- Highlight the verbs and nouns that are used in the poem.
- Which have been hidden from Verb and Noun (see resources) list? Write them in.
3. Now for some writing
- Think of other people who have helped during this time.
- Complete Professions – Nouns and Verbs (see resources), thinking of nouns and verbs to do with three other groups of people.
- Try turning your ideas into a poem. You can begin each verse with ‘These are the hands…’ (or you could think of eyes or feet or faces…)
- Try to give your poem rhythm and perhaps rhyme too.
As an extra...
- Practise performing your poem.
- Send your performance or a copy of your poem to some of the groups of people that you have written about.